Monday, December 3, 2012

Clancy the Cat

I'm proud to announce that we have a new member of the Cash family (no, I'm not pregnant).  Meet Clancy the cat! 


Clancy Cash
 


Monday night Stephen and I went for a run and this little guy followed us home and has been with us ever since.     Stephen named him Tom Clancy...but after further inspection we realized that HE is really a SHE.  So we shortened it to Clancy.  I've always had dogs growing up and always said I would NEVER be a cat person...but seriously guys, how could you not love that sweet little face?  She is honestly one of the kindest animals I've ever seen.  Very loving and affectionate.  We found her in a storm drain crying and covered in filth.  When we got home we gave her some food and she devoured it!  I have never seen an animal as hungry as she was.  The poor thing was starving!  My sister and her husband used to live in the neighborhood we live in now and she said while they were living there, they used to see stray cats all the time.  Apparently people just come to our neighborhood and drop cats off.  It's really sad...but now she has a new family! 
Clancy all clean after her bath!

Since I know nothing about owning a cat, I'm in need of any advice I can get on how to best take care of her.  We are wanting her to be an outside cat, but everytime we let her in the backyard, she squeezes under the fence to get out.  We gave her a bath and have let her stay in the house when we are home, but she sleeps in the garage at night since it's cold outside and since we aren't so sure we want her to be an inside cat.  So, anyone have any advice on what we need to do to take care of her?  I'm thinking the first stop needs to be the vet.  She doesn't seem to have any fleas, and we've given her a bath and flea treatment...but I know we should probably make sure she is healthy overall and get her vaccinated and such.  So all you cat people out there...bring on the advice!  We will gladly take it!

Clancy loves Stephen!


 
Maybe she will scare all those pesky mice away we've been seeing around our house! 

Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Make sure you get her "fixed" so she doesn't bring home babies. She's not going to stay in your fence, but keeping her close for a while so she knows you = food and affection will probably keep her close by and she'll keep coming home. I had a cat, but I got it as a kitten and it was inside for a long time before we let it out alone. When it was tiny, I would walk with it outside and make it stay next to the curb. If it started to step into the street, I would move it back close to the curb. Once it became and indoor/outdoor cat, it continued to walk like that. Maybe the vet can guess how old she is. Speaking of vets. Dr. Averette is great with our dog and he's not outrageously priced. He's in N'port - so it's not too terribly out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! Does he take walk-ins or do I need to set up an appointment?

      Delete
  2. Definitely take her to the vet asap!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiffany! I'm going to do that this week!

      Delete
  3. I'm not a cat person either, but beware of Clancy attacking/demolishing your Christmas tree! A friend here at work has a kitten and she found her at the TOP of the tree this weekend (and several broken ornaments were on the carpet)!

    ReplyDelete