Saturday, November 10, 2012

Treasure Jars

While Stephen and I were on our honeymoon, I collected shells from the Atlantic coast to bring home with me.  Not sure what to do with them, I saw this idea in Better Homes and Gardens to store your keepsakes in labeled jars so I thought I'd put my own spin on it.  

 


Here's what you'll need to make your own:

  • Glass jar of any size with lid (I used an old olive jar)
  • Shells or any other keepsakes 
  • Spray paint (this is optional, I used it to re-paint the lid to my jar)
  • Jute
  • Paper tag

Step 1:  If you have an ugly jar lid like me, the first step is to spray paint the lid the color you want.

Step 2: Fill your jar with the "treasures" you've collected.

Step 3: Take your paper tag and write down the where and when the treasures were collected.  Mine says, "Honeymoon- St. Simons Island, Georgia- September 2012."

Step 4: Cut a piece of jute (twine) the length you need to tie around the jar.

Step 5: Pull the twine through the loop on your tag and tie it around the jar, finishing it off with a bow.


It's seriously that easy!  And it's a super creative way to display your memories rather than using the typical shadow box.  Here's how my "treasure jar" turned out...

 


Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea!! It's perfect for all those little things that hold a lot of memories that you don't want to throw away...but that clutter things up, etc. And I love your tray with the glass bottles...so chic =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea also! We recently went to Atlantic City for our 1st wedding anniversary and brought some keepsake shells home with us, I now know what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete