Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pumpkin Prayer

Last night at Teen Moms Bible study we did a super cute activity called the "Pumpkin Prayer" by Liz Curtis Higgs.  If you've never heard of it, this is a great activity to do with children (and even youth) to explain our need for Jesus and how when He enters our lives He changes us from the inside out.  As we went through each part of the poem, we carved a pumpkin as a visual reminder.  Here's the link to the original document...I tweaked it a little to make the lesson applicable to our girls.

Pumpkin Prayer
by: Liz Curtis Higgs

(Cut off top of pumpkin)
Lord, open my mind so I can learn new things about you.  

(Remove insides of pumpkin)
Remove the things in my life that don't please you. 
Forgive the wrong things I do and help me to forgive others.

(Carve out eyes of pumpkin)
Open my eyes to see the beauty you've made in the world around me.

(Cut out nose)
I'm sorry for the times I've turned my nose at the good things you provide.

(Cut out mouth)
Let everything I say please you.

(Light a candle and put inside pumpkin)
Lord, help me to show your light to others through the things I do.

Amen.




The Scripture verses I used for this lesson were:

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.  The old has passed away; behold, the new has come." -2 Corinthians 5:17

"In the same way let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in Heaven." -Matthew 5:16


Mr. Pumpkin riding home on the hump



Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. First of all i love your blog! Thank you for posting this! Im so against celebrating halloween with my kids and this is an awesome way to bring Jesus in the season and make it all about Him! Thank you again, cant wait to do this with my boys this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ashley! The girls in our Bible study loved it and I'm sure your children did too. Such a great visual reminder of how Jesus changes us from the inside out. Thanks for reading my blog :) God bless!

      Delete