Thursday, October 11, 2012

DIY: Barnwood Towel Rack


Like many of you other ladies (and gentleman- no hate) out there I am a Pinterest fanatic. Many of the decorative elements in Cashablanca (our home) are ideas I've gotten from various blogs I found through pinterest.  One of the ideas I saw on Pinterest was to take an old piece of wood and add vintage knobs for a necklace holder.  Well, I decided to put my own spin on the project and turn it into a towel holder instead.
Here's how I did it:

Supplies You will need:

  • Scrap piece of wood
  • Drill
  • Glass door knobs of various sizes.  I bought mine at Hobby Lobby.  They range from .99 to $3.99 a piece.  I got all of mine for under $10 because I purchased them during their 50% off hardware week.  Check your local Hobby Lobby flyer to see when they are on sale!
  • Yard stick or tape measure
  • Pencil
  • 2 small screws
  • 2 sawtooth hangers 
  • Lots of patience and creativity!


Step 1.  Find an old piece of wood to attach your knobs to.  I got the wood for this project from an old barn that belonged to my great uncle.  It's important that you find a flat piece so that it will lay against the wall nicely.  My piece of wood was a little warped so it was a booger to try and attach to the wall.  Learn from my mistakes when picking out the perfect piece of wood.


Step 2.   Using a yard stick or tape measure, mark your wood with a pencil in the spots you want the knobs to go then drill small holes where the markings are .  If you aren't OCD like me you may be able to just eyeball it without having to bust out your measuring devices.

Step 3.  Attach your knobs to the wood through the holes you drilled in Step 2.

Step 4. Attach your sawtooth hangers onto the back left and right sides of the board to get ready to hang.

Step 5. Measure the distance between the two sawtooth hangers and mark holes equal to that distance on your wall where your screws will go. These screws are what the sawtooth hangers will rest on, affixing the board to the wall.

Step 6.  Drill screws into your markings on the wall and hang your finished project!



A nice addition to our guest bathroom, don't you think?





Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice!!! I'm thinking I could do this in our entry way for backpacks and jackets. The screws will have to go in studs since the back packs get really heavy. Have you seen any great ideas for those? Maybe I should do a higher one for lunch boxes/smaller items? Would LOVE your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete